webpage stats

Alameda Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Alameda

Alameda is a city located in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. It is situated on an island of the same name, which is connected to the mainland by bridges and a causeway. Alameda is known for its Victorian-style homes, its vibrant downtown area, and its many parks and beaches. The city is home to a variety of attractions, including the USS Hornet Museum, the Alameda Naval Air Station, and the Alameda Point Antiques Faire. Alameda is also home to a number of restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Alameda, California is $817,400 as of 2021. As of July 1, 2019, the population of Alameda County, California was estimated to be 1,639,622.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Alameda

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Alameda County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by awarding each co-owner a certain percentage of the property’s value. The court will then order the property to be divided according to the co-owners’ wishes. The partition statutes also provide that if the court finds that a physical division of the property is not feasible, it may order the property to be sold and the proceeds divided among the co-owners.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • What are the different types of partition in California? Almost all partition actions are partition by sale, though partition in-kind allows the property to be divided, while a partition by appraisal allows the purchase by one-co-owner at an appraised value.
  • What is the timeline for a California partition action? Most partition actions are resolved in 3 to 6 months by way of settlement. Other cases can take 6 to 12 months to obtain an interlocutory judgment of partition, which generally appoints a referee to sell the property.
  • How will the court in a California partition action determine how much each co-owner will receive from the sales proceeds? Generally, each co-owner will receive their fractional interest in the proceeds of sale based on their ownership interests. However, this amount can be enhanced or diminished by partition offsets whereby one co-owner paid more than their fractional interest for property expenses.
  • Will there be a trial in a California partition action? Trials are extremely rare in partition actions because the interlocutory judgment procedure allows for a partition referee to be appointed by meeting just a few elements that rarely involve live testimony from witnesses. Even if a trial occurred, it would almost certainly relate only to the ownership interests or the distribution of proceeds, though most cases are decided on motion heard by the court based on the papers submitted by the parties.
  • In a partition action, can I be reimbursed for paying more than my fair share of the down payment? Yes, partition actions allow for offsets whereby one co-owner claims excess payments for mortgage, taxes, insurance, improvements, repairs and other property expenses

Speak to Our Alameda Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Alameda County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (510) 999-3300 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Johnson v. Brauner – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Johnson v. Brauner, 131 Cal.App.2d 713 (1955), the issue was whether a partition of real property was proper. The plaintiffs, Johnson and his wife, owned a parcel of real property with two other individuals, Brauner and his wife. The Johnsons and the Brauners had agreed to partition the property, but the Brauners refused to sign the deed. The Johnsons then filed a partition action, and the trial court ordered a partition by sale. The Brauners appealed, arguing that the partition was improper because the Johnsons had not provided sufficient evidence of their ownership interest in the property. The court of appeals held that the partition was proper, finding that the Johnsons had provided sufficient evidence of their ownership interest in the property. The court also noted that the Brauners had failed to provide any evidence to support their claim that the Johnsons did not own an interest in the property.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Alameda in the County of Alameda, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (510) 999-3300 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 70 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.