Scott Talkov is the Founder of Talkov Law where the emphasis of his practice is in real estate, business and bankruptcy litigation. Before founding the firm, Scott became the youngest partner after six years of practice and was named Partner of the Year at Reid & Hellyer, APC. Dating back to 1897, Scott worked at this firm for the first decade of his legal career.
Scott is the longest-standing Board Member in the Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum and was twice elected as President of the Riverside County Barristers (Young Attorneys’) Association. Scott is active in the Pick Group of Riverside Young Professionals and Riverside County Bar Association.
Scott graduated cum laude from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, where he sat on the Board of Editors for the Washington University Law Review.
Beginning his studies at University of California, Riverside, Scott completed his bachelor’s degree as a 2004 graduate of University of California, Santa Barbara. An elected official in student government at both campuses, UCSB awarded Scott the University Service Award for exemplary campus leadership.
Scott’s articles on real estate law have been published in the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Journal of the American Bar Association and California Real Property Journal of the State Bar of California.
Scott volunteers his time as the Assistant Director of the Associated Students Legal Clinic at the University of California, Riverside, where he provides free advice to students with real estate and civil litigation issues.
Scott’s state court experience includes the California Superior Court in Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Ventura counties, as well as the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Second Division (Riverside) and Second District (Los Angeles). His federal court experience includes the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California as well as bankruptcy appeals to the District Court for the Central District of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- State Bar of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Central District of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2014
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2016
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Financing and Trust Deed Litigation
- Ownership Disputes
- Partition Actions
- Commercial Landlord/Tenant
- Fraud, Misrepresentation, Nondisclosure, and Professional Negligence in Sales, Leasing, Financing, Management, and Contracting
- Business and Civil Litigation
- Breach of Contract and Business Disputes
- Corporate Litigation, including Alter-Ego Disputes
- Debt Collection and Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Media Litigation, including Newspaper of General Circulation Adjudications
- Agent, Broker, and Independent Contractor Disputes
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Representation of Creditors, Debtors and Trustees in Chapter 7, 11 , 12 and 13 Bankruptcies
- Asset Exemption, Objection to Claims, Plan Objections and Relief from Stay
- Adversaries and Contested Matters, including Non-Dischargeability Litigation, Motions to Dismiss and Involuntary Bankruptcies
- Appeals to the Ninth Circuit, Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel and District Court
- Scott Talkov, Exposing the Myth of Mortgage Prepayment Penalties in the Aftermath of River East, 44 Real Prop. Tr. & Est. L. J. 585 (Amer. Bar Assoc., Fall 2009)
- Scott Talkov, Mortgage Shotgunning and the Priority of Trust Deeds, 32 Cal. Real Prop. J. 9 (State Bar of California, 2014)
Published & Unpublished Decisions:
- Eleiwa v. Whitmore, No. CC-12-1559-ClDKi (9th Cir. B.A.P. Jun. 5, 2013)
- Inland Western Temecula Commons v. Potter, No. E05785, 2014 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 6590 (Cal. App. 4th Dist. Sep. 18, 2014)
- In re Matthew Banks Ashworth, No. 8:11-bk-10946-RK, 2012 Bankr. LEXIS 4563, 2012 WL 4596217 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. Oct. 1, 2013)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), BAP No. CC-12-1591-TaDPa, 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 5256 (9th Cir. B.A.P. Dec. 16, 2013)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), 637 Fed. Appx. 387 (9th Cir. 2016)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013 to Present)
- William J. Lasarow Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service to the Community, Riverside Legal Aid, 2013
- Civitas Award for Unique and Significant Contributions to the Civic and Cultural Life of Riverside and Inland Southern California, KUCR 88.3 FM, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Real Estate Law and Business I, Prof. George Lefcoe, University of Southern California School of Law (2014, 2015)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Riverside County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2011-12 & 2014-15) & Member (2009-Present)
- Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum, Board Member (2014-Present) & Member (2013-Present)
- Riverside County Barristers Association, President (2011-12 & 2014-15), Board of Directors (2010-16)
- Pick Group of Riverside Young Professionals, Member (2009-Present)
- National Eagle Scout Association, Member