California Code of Civil Procedure 872.210 is the California partition statute that specifies who is authorized to commence a partition action. The statute provides that:
(a) A partition action may be commenced and maintained by any of the following persons:
(1) A coowner of personal property.
(2) An owner of an estate of inheritance, an estate for life, or an estate for years in real property where such property or estate therein is owned by several persons concurrently or in successive estates.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), an action between spouses or putative spouses for partition of their community or quasi-community property or their quasi-marital interest in property may not be commenced or maintained under this title.California Code of Civil Procedure 872.210
The impact of this section is that: “The right of a cotenant to have the property in which he owns an interest partitioned is ordinarily absolute. However, that right may be waived or altered by agreement.”Harrison v. Domergue (1969) 274 Cal.App. 2d 19, 21 “A tenant in common has an absolute right to partition.” Formosa Corp. v. Rogers (1951) 108 Cal.App. 2d 397, 409 The only limitation is that community property must be addressed in family court, not by way of a partition action.
Contact an Experienced Partition Attorney in California
If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. Our experienced partition lawyers have years of experience ending co-ownership disputes and can help you unlock the equity in your property. For a free, 15 minute consultation with an experienced partition attorney at Talkov Law, call (844) 482-5568 or fill out a contact form online.
- Los Angeles Partition Attorney
- Orange County Partition Attorney
- San Diego Partition Attorney
- San Francisco Partition Attorney
- Riverside Partition Attorney
- Palm Springs Partition Attorney
- San Bernardino Partition Attorney
- Palo Alto Partition Attorney
- San Jose Partition Attorney
- Sacramento Partition Attorney
- Fresno Partition Attorney
- Santa Barbara Partition Attorney
- Redding Partition Attorney
- Oakland Partition Attorney
- Monterey Bay Partition Attorney
- Walnut Creek Partition Attorney
- Santa Rosa Partition Attorney
- San Fernando Valley Partition Attorney
- San Gabriel Valley Partition Attorney
- Bakersfield Partition Attorney
- Long Beach Partition Attorney