California Code of Civil Procedure 874.010 is the California partition statute that allows the court to order certain costs of the partition to be allowed and apportioned between the parties. The statute provides that:
The costs of partition include:California Code of Civil Procedure 874.010.
(a) Reasonable attorney’s fees incurred or paid by a party for the common benefit.
(b) The fee and expenses of the referee.
(c) The compensation provided by contract for services of a surveyor or other person employed by the referee in the action.
(d) The reasonable costs of a title report procured pursuant to Section 872.220 with interest thereon at the legal rate from the time of payment or, if paid before commencement of the action, from the time of commencement of the action.
(e) Other disbursements or expenses determined by the court to have been incurred or paid for the common benefit.
Generally, each co-owner will pay their own attorney’s fees for a partition action. However, California partition law does allow the court to award “reasonable attorney’s fees incurred or paid by a party for the common benefit.”California Code of Civil Procedure 874.010(a) Generally, “the court shall apportion the costs of partition among the parties in proportion to their interests or make such other apportionment as may be equitable.” California Code of Civil Procedure 874.040 Even referee fees can be allocated entirely to one of the co-owners. Sullivan v. Dorsa (2005) 128 Cal. App. 4th 947, 966
This means that, if one co-owner is extremely uncooperative, and a court judgment of partition is ultimately required, the court may indeed award part or all of an cooperative co-owner’s attorney’s fees from the equity of the uncooperative co-owner.
Contact an Experienced Partition Attorney in California
If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. Our experienced partition lawyers have years of experience ending co-ownership disputes and can help you unlock the equity in your property. For a free, 15 minute consultation with an experienced partition attorney at Talkov Law, call (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or fill out a contact form online.
- Los Angeles Partition Attorney
- Orange County Partition Attorney
- San Diego Partition Attorney
- San Francisco Partition Attorney
- Riverside Partition Attorney
- Palm Springs Partition Attorney
- San Bernardino Partition Attorney
- Palo Alto Partition Attorney
- San Jose Partition Attorney
- Sacramento Partition Attorney
- Fresno Partition Attorney
- Santa Barbara Partition Attorney
- Redding Partition Attorney
- Oakland Partition Attorney
- Monterey Bay Partition Attorney
- Walnut Creek Partition Attorney
- Santa Rosa Partition Attorney
- San Fernando Valley Partition Attorney
- San Gabriel Valley Partition Attorney
- Bakersfield Partition Attorney
- Long Beach Partition Attorney