Code of Civil Procedure 874.321.5 CCP – Apportionment of the Costs of Partition (Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act)


California Code of Civil Procedure 874.321.5 is the California partition statute that describes how the court will distribute the costs of partition among parties that oppose the partition under the California Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act. The statute states the following:

In an action for partition of heirs property, the court may apportion the costs of partition, including an appraisal fee, pursuant to Section 874.040, except that the court shall not apportion the costs of partition to any party that opposes the partition unless doing so is equitable and consistent with the purposes of this chapter.

California Code of Civil Procedure 874.321.5

Common costs associated with a partition action include a property appraisal fee, partition attorney’s fees, partition referee fees, and real estate broker fees as specified by CCP § 874.010. Ordinarily, these costs may be distributed among all co-owners, whether they are in favor of or against the partition action as set forth in CCP § 874.040 relating to apportionment of costs.

Not only do co-owners of inherited property have more opportunities to remain in possession of their property under the Uniform Partition of Heirs Property Act, but this statute also allows them to deflect various costs of partition onto the partitioning party(ies). This may serve as a deterrent to co-owners who are unsure of whether they want to sell and may prevent sales that could otherwise be solved amicably.

Interestingly, the statute suggests that courts “shall not apportion the costs of partition to any party that opposes the partition unless doing so is equitable and consistent with the purposes of this chapter.” Seemingly, this means that ordinary co-owners with legitimate concerns will not be tagged with the costs of the partition, but uncooperative co-owners who intentionally frustrate the partition may indeed be assessed with the entire cost of the partition, including attorney’s fees.

Contact an Experienced Partition Attorney in California

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. Our experienced partition lawyers have years of experience ending co-ownership disputes and can help you unlock the equity in your property. For a free, 15 minute consultation with an experienced partition attorney at Talkov Law, call (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or fill out a contact form online.

About Talkov Law

The attorneys at Talkov Law practice real estate law, family law, business law, and bankruptcy law. Our experienced lawyers specialize in assisting all parties involved in these civil disputes by providing the best legal representation.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 89 customer reviews.

Contact Us to Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation

      Awards and Recognition

      Super Lawyers
      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      Talkov Law is one of California's preeminent law firms for partition, real estate, business, bankruptcy, and family law litigation, disputes, trials and appeals. Our attorneys have been awarded by some of the most esteemed legal organizations, including Avvo, Justia, Lead Counsel, Expertise, Super Lawyers, and Three Best Rated. Call (844) 4-TALKOV for a free consultation. The lawyers at Talkov Law serve Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino County, San Jose, Sacramento, San FranciscoPalo Alto, Palm SpringsSanta Barbara, Redding, Oakland, Monterey Bay, Long Beach, Walnut Creek, Santa Rosa, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Bakersfield, and Fresno.

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.