Hawthorne Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Hawthorne

Hawthorne is a city located in southwestern Los Angeles County, California. It is bordered by the cities of Lawndale, Gardena, Inglewood, and Lennox. Hawthorne is known for its diverse population, its tree-lined streets, and its proximity to Los Angeles International Airport. The city is home to several aerospace and defense companies, including Northrop Grumman and SpaceX. Hawthorne is also home to the Hawthorne Municipal Airport, which is used for general aviation. The city is served by the Hawthorne School District, which includes four elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Hawthorne, California is $541,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of Hawthorne, California was 87,199.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Hawthorne

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Los Angeles County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • How will the property be divided if a partition action is successful? In most partition actions, the property will be sold, rather than being divided. If the property is eligible for partition in-kind, the court can appoint a referee to prepare a report on dividing the property in a manner that does not damage the value of the fractional interests.
  • Can I still file a partition if my co-owner has filed for bankruptcy? Yes, the partition action can generally be filed in the bankruptcy court or the bankruptcy court can apply state partition law to allow offsets when the co-owned property is sold by the bankruptcy trustee.
  • When is a partition action right for my dispute? Generally, parties who can reach their own resolution of a co-ownership dispute are not reading websites about partition law. If you are reading this article, chances are that your co-ownership dispute has reached a level where legal options are being considered. Filing a partition action will bring about a certain result to the co-ownership dispute, rather than letting it linger for years on end. However, if the parties are very close to a settlement, it may be wise to consider a resolution.
  • What types of properties can be subject to a partition action in California? All co-owned real or personal property can be partitioned under California law. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 872.020.
  • Can a minority owner force the sale of a property? There is no requirement for a majority vote for partition. Rather, an co-owner of any interest in property can force the sale.

Speak to Our Hawthorne Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Los Angeles County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (310) 496-3300 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Hipp for Use of Cuesta v. Babin – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Hipp for Use of Cuesta v. Babin, 60 U.S. 271 (1856), the issue was whether a partition of land could be made between two parties who had conflicting claims to the same property. The plaintiff, Hipp, was the owner of a tract of land in Louisiana, and the defendant, Babin, was the owner of an adjoining tract. Hipp claimed that the two tracts should be partitioned, while Babin argued that the two tracts should remain undivided. The court ultimately ruled in favor of Hipp, finding that a partition of the land was possible and that it should be done in a manner that would be equitable to both parties. The court also noted that the partition should be done in a way that would not prejudice either party’s rights to the land.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Hawthorne in the County of Los Angeles, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (310) 496-3300 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Talkov Law Los Angeles Office

    10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    Phone: (310) 496-3300

    Talkov Law Offices

    Our partition attorneys in Hawthorne also serve Lawndale, Gardena, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, and Torrance.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 53 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.