Palos Verdes Estates Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Palos Verdes Estates

Palos Verdes Estates is a city located in Los Angeles County, California. It is situated on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, a coastal bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The city is known for its rolling hills, lush gardens, and stunning ocean views. It is home to some of the most expensive real estate in the United States, and is a popular destination for celebrities and the wealthy. The city is also home to a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, and golfing. Palos Verdes Estates is a beautiful and exclusive city that offers its residents a luxurious lifestyle.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Palos Verdes Estates is $2,092,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 census, the population of Palos Verdes Estates, California was 13,438.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Palos Verdes Estates

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Los Angeles County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. A California partition action is a law that allows co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes provide a legal mechanism for co-owners to divide the property without having to go through the court system. The partition statutes allow co-owners to divide the property either by agreement or by court order. If the co-owners cannot agree on how to divide the property, then the court will divide the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any partition of the property must be done in accordance with the laws of the state of California. The legal effect of the partition statutes is that it provides a legal mechanism for co-owners to divide their property without having to go through the court system.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Will there be a trial in a California partition action? Trials are extremely rare in partition actions because the interlocutory judgment procedure allows for a partition referee to be appointed by meeting just a few elements that rarely involve live testimony from witnesses. Even if a trial occurred, it would almost certainly relate only to the ownership interests or the distribution of proceeds, though most cases are decided on motion heard by the court based on the papers submitted by the parties.
  • What is California’s Partition of Real Property Act? Effective January 1, 2023, California’s new partition law allows defendants to buy out the interests of the plaintiff at an appraised value.
  • Are there ways to make my partition action less expensive? There are numerous ways to obtain a less expensive partition action in California. For example, having your documents organized can ensure you don’t have to pay your attorney to go through a disorganized mess to get the information they need.
  • What type of relief can be granted by the court in a partition action? A partition action generally involves the sale or division of the property, along with an accounting of offsets.
  • What is recoverable in a partition action? “In a suit for partition it is a general rule that all equities and conflicting claims existing between the parties and arising out of their relation to the property to be partitioned may be adjusted.” Demetris v. Demetris (1954) 125 Cal. App. 2d 440. This means that co-owners can assert offsets or recover payments of the mortgage, taxes, insurance, repairs and improvements in excess of their fractional interests.

Speak to Our Palos Verdes Estates Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Los Angeles County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (310) 496-3300 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Abarca v. Ferber – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Abarca v. Ferber, 2011 WL 175710, C062049 (20-Jan-2011) , the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The plaintiff, Abarca, and the defendant, Ferber, were co-owners of a parcel of real property. Abarca sought to partition the property, while Ferber opposed the partition. The court found that the parties had an implied agreement to partition the property, and that Abarca was entitled to a partition of the property. The court also found that Ferber had failed to provide sufficient evidence to support his claim that the partition would be detrimental to the value of the property. The court ultimately ordered a partition of the property, and ordered Ferber to pay Abarca’s costs and attorney’s fees.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Palos Verdes Estates in the County of Los Angeles, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (310) 496-3300 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Talkov Law Los Angeles Office

    10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    Phone: (310) 496-3300

    Talkov Law Offices

    Our partition attorneys in Palos Verdes Estates also serve Rolling Hills Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Torrance, and San Pedro.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 53 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.