Scott Talkov is the Founder and Managing Partner of Talkov Law where the emphasis of his practice is in real estate, business and bankruptcy litigation. Scott founded the firm after serving as a partner at a California law firm.
Scott has been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine for nine consecutive years from 2013 to 2021. He has been quoted by the Real Deal Los Angeles, is listed in the U.S. News Lawyer Directory powered by Best Lawyers, and is a Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Scott is the longest-standing Board Member in the Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum and was twice elected as President of the Riverside County Barristers (Young Attorneys’) Association. Scott is active in the Pick Group of Riverside Young Professionals and Riverside County Bar Association.
Beginning his studies at University of California, Riverside, Scott completed his bachelor’s degree as a 2004 graduate of University of California, Santa Barbara. Scott was an elected official and earned leadership awards for his role in student government at both campuses.
Scott’s articles on real estate law have been published in the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Journal of the American Bar Association, California Real Property Journal of the State Bar of California, and Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine.
Scott volunteers his time as the Assistant Director of the Associated Students Legal Clinic at the University of California, Riverside, where he provides free advice to students with real estate and civil litigation issues.
Scott has been featured on CNN, FoxNews, ABC 7, and KCAL 9, as well as the Los Angeles Times, Press-Enterprise, San Diego Union Tribune, LA Weekly, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, San Bernardino Sun, Redlands Daily Facts, Arizona Republic, Washington Examiner, The Coast News Group, and Los Cerritos Community News.
Additionally, as an experienced business litigator, Scott was interviewed at length by Vice for his opinion on Kanye West’s current legal battles.
Scott’s state court experience includes the California Superior Court in Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Ventura counties, as well as the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Second Division (Riverside) and Second District (Los Angeles).
His federal court experience includes the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California as well as bankruptcy appeals to the District Court for the Central District of California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- State Bar of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Central District of California, 2009
- United States District Court, Southern District of California, 2014
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 2020
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, 2020
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2016
Published Works and Presentations:
- Scott Talkov and D. Edward Hays, Protecting the Old Homestead, Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, 2021, at p27 (Los Angeles County Bar Assoc., July/August 2021)
- Scott Talkov, Mortgage Shotgunning and the Priority of Trust Deeds, 32 Cal. Real Prop. J. 9 (State Bar of California, 2014)
- Scott Talkov, Exposing the Myth of Mortgage Prepayment Penalties in the Aftermath of River East, 44 Real Prop. Tr. & Est. L. J. 585 (Amer. Bar Assoc., Fall 2009)
Published & Unpublished Decisions:
- Karl Avetoom vs. Rosa Fridman (In re Rosa Fridman), BAP No. CC-21-1101-LSF, 2022 WL 421098 (9th Cir. B.A.P. Feb. 11, 2022)
- Bayati v. Town Square, B295426 (Cal. App. 2nd Dist. May 18, 2020)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), 637 Fed. Appx. 387 (9th Cir. 2016)
- Inland Western Temecula Commons v. Potter, No. E05785, 2014 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 6590 (Cal. App. 4th Dist. Sep. 18, 2014)
- Eleiwa v. Whitmore, No. CC-12-1559-ClDKi (9th Cir. B.A.P. Jun. 5, 2013)
- In re Matthew Banks Ashworth, No. 8:11-bk-10946-RK, 2012 Bankr. LEXIS 4563, 2012 WL 4596217 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. Oct. 1, 2013)
- Ashworth v. Ehrgott (In re Ashworth), BAP No. CC-12-1591-TaDPa, 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 5256 (9th Cir. B.A.P. Dec. 16, 2013)
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2013-2021
- Avvo – 10 out of 10
- Justia – 10 out of 10
- Lead Counsel Rated – Thomson Reuters – Real Estate and Bankruptcy Law
- William J. Lasarow Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service to the Community, Riverside Legal Aid, 2013
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum Lifetime Member
- Civitas Award for Unique and Significant Contributions to the Civic and Cultural Life of Riverside and Inland Southern California, KUCR 88.3 FM, 2012
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, Walnut, California
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- Scott Talkov, Partition: An Overview of the Most Efficient and Equitable Way to Compel Sale of Co-Owned Properties, Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) MCLE (2022)
- Guest Lecturer, Real Estate Law and Business I, Prof. George Lefcoe, University of Southern California School of Law (2014, 2015)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Riverside County Bar Association, Board of Directors (2011-12 & 2014-15) & Member (2009-Present)
- Inland Empire Bankruptcy Forum, Board Member (2014-Present) & Member (2013-Present)
- Riverside County Barristers Association, President (2011-12 & 2014-15), Board of Directors (2010-16)