Types of Co-Ownership in California (Tenants in Common, Joint Tenants, Etc.)


Co-Ownership of Real Property in California

“Co-tenancy” is an umbrella term used to describe ownership by several co-owners with undivided interests in the real property. There are four distinct types of co-tenancies (or co-ownerships) recognized by statute in California in which several people can own the same property.[1]California Civil Code 682

Tenancy in Common

A tenancy in common is a form of co-ownership in which an interest is “owned by several persons, not in joint ownership or partnership.”[2]California Civil Code 685 A tenancy in common is considered the default by courts, rather than joint tenancy. Tenants in common are permitted to own varying shares of the property, but all co-owners have an equal right to enjoy the entire property. When a co-owner dies, his or her interest may be transferred through probate or other proceeding as the right of survivorship does not apply to a tenancy in common. Additionally, tenants in common may transfer their interest at any time without severing the tenancy in common or even affecting the ownership interests of the other co-owners.

Joint Tenancy

A joint tenancy is a type of co-ownership in which an interest is “owned by two or more persons in equal shares.”[3]California Civil Code 683 A joint tenancy is created at one time under a single instrument of transfer giving each joint tenant an equal share of the property. All parties enjoy equal rights to use and enjoy the entire property, not just a part. Joint tenants also enjoy a “right of survivorship,” meaning that if one party dies, their rights of ownership pass to the surviving co-owner(s). This can help avoid the expensive and time-consuming probate process even without a will in place. Joint owners can also transfer their interest in the property. However, this severs the joint tenancy and automatically converts the joint tenancy into a tenancy in common.

Tenancy in Partnership

“A partnership interest is one owned by several persons, in partnership, for partnership purposes.”[4]California Civil Code 684 In other words, a tenancy in partnership is a type of co-ownership in which title to property is held in the name of the partnership. This means that the partnership, rather than an individual, owns the property. Partners have undivided interests in the property, but cannot transfer these interests to a party outside of the partnership. Indeed, a “partner is not a coowner of partnership property and has no interest in partnership property that can be transferred, either voluntarily or involuntarily.”[5]California Corporation Code 16501

Community Property

Community property is a type of property that is only available to married couples. Both assets and debts that are acquired during the course of a marriage belong to both spouses equally as community property. “For the purpose of division of property on dissolution of marriage or legal separation of the parties, property acquired by the parties during marriage in joint form, including property held in tenancy in common, joint tenancy, or tenancy by the entirety, or as community property, is presumed to be community property.”[6]California Family Code 2581

Ending Co-Ownership Disputes

Disputes can arise at any time that may leave co-owners dissatisfied with their current co-ownership arrangement. Individuals who have a tenancy in common or a joint tenancy may choose to forcefully end their co-ownership relationship through a partition action. Note that a partition is not available in “an action between spouses or putative spouses for partition of their community or quasi-community property or their quasi-marital interest in property….”[7]California Code of Civil Procedure 872.210

Contact an Experienced Partition Attorney in California

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. Our experienced partition lawyers have years of experience ending co-ownership disputes and can help you unlock the equity in your property. For a free, 15 minute consultation with an experienced partition attorney at Talkov Law, call (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or fill out a contact form online.


1 California Civil Code 682
2 California Civil Code 685
3 California Civil Code 683
4 California Civil Code 684
5 California Corporation Code 16501
6 California Family Code 2581
7 California Code of Civil Procedure 872.210
About Talkov Law

The attorneys at Talkov Law practice real estate law, family law, business law, and bankruptcy law. Our experienced lawyers specialize in assisting all parties involved in these civil disputes by providing the best legal representation.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 89 customer reviews.

Contact Us to Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation

      Awards and Recognition

      Super Lawyers
      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      Talkov Law is one of California's preeminent law firms for partition, real estate, business, bankruptcy, and family law litigation, disputes, trials and appeals. Our attorneys have been awarded by some of the most esteemed legal organizations, including Avvo, Justia, Lead Counsel, Expertise, Super Lawyers, and Three Best Rated. Call (844) 4-TALKOV for a free consultation. The lawyers at Talkov Law serve Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino County, San Jose, Sacramento, San FranciscoPalo Alto, Palm SpringsSanta Barbara, Redding, Oakland, Monterey Bay, Long Beach, Walnut Creek, Santa Rosa, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Bakersfield, and Fresno.

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.