webpage stats

Westlake Village Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Westlake Village

Westlake Village is a city located in Los Angeles County, California. It is located in the western part of the county, near the border of Ventura County. The city is known for its affluent population and its picturesque setting. It is situated in the foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains, and is surrounded by lush green hills and valleys. The city is home to many upscale shopping centers, restaurants, and entertainment venues. It is also home to several corporate headquarters, including Dole Food Company and K-Swiss. Westlake Village is a popular destination for outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, and golfing. The city is also home to several parks and recreational areas, including Westlake Lake, which is a popular spot for fishing and boating.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Westlake Village, Los Angeles County, California is $1,072,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of Westlake Village, California was 8,270.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Westlake Village

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Los Angeles County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. A California partition action is a law that allows co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes provide a legal mechanism for co-owners to divide the property without having to go through the court system. The partition statutes also provide a way for co-owners to force the sale of the property if they cannot agree on how to divide it. The partition statutes also set out the procedures for the sale of the property and how the proceeds of the sale will be divided among the co-owners. The partition statutes also provide for the payment of costs associated with the sale of the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Can I still file a partition if my co-owner has filed for bankruptcy? Yes, the partition action can generally be filed in the bankruptcy court or the bankruptcy court can apply state partition law to allow offsets when the co-owned property is sold by the bankruptcy trustee.
  • Will there be a trial in a California partition action? Trials are extremely rare in partition actions because the interlocutory judgment procedure allows for a partition referee to be appointed by meeting just a few elements that rarely involve live testimony from witnesses. Even if a trial occurred, it would almost certainly relate only to the ownership interests or the distribution of proceeds, though most cases are decided on motion heard by the court based on the papers submitted by the parties.
  • What is a partition referee? A partition referee is a neutral third party, often times a lawyer or real estate broker, who completes the sale for the co-owners under court authority. The referee is then paid for their services either on an hourly, flat fee, or commission basis, and is relieved by the court of their duties in the case.
  • How much does a partition action cost? The cost of a partition action can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case. A typical partition action usually costs between $5,000 and $12,000, with about $8,000 being the most common cost. However, difficulty locating a defendant, the motion to appoint a partition referee, delay tactics by defendants, and other issues may raise the cost of your partition action. An experienced partition lawyer can mitigate costs and resolve your co-ownership dispute with maximum efficiency.
  • What are the costs associated with a partition action? The costs of a partition action generally involve the attorney’s fees, and court costs, but can involve referee fees and broker’s fees if the property is sold.

Speak to Our Westlake Village Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Los Angeles County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (818) 900-7700 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Koefoed v. Camejo – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Koefoed v. Camejo, 2007 WL 2165372, B188429 (30-Jul-2007) , the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The case involved a dispute between two co-owners of a property in California. The plaintiff, Koefoed, sought to partition the property, while the defendant, Camejo, opposed the partition. The court found that the parties had an implied agreement to partition the property, and that the plaintiff was entitled to a partition of the property. The court also found that the defendant had failed to provide sufficient evidence to support his claim that the partition would be detrimental to the value of the property. The court ultimately ordered the partition of the property, and the parties were required to divide the property in accordance with the court’s order.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Westlake Village in the County of Los Angeles, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (818) 900-7700 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Talkov Law Los Angeles Office

    10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    Phone: (310) 496-3300

    Talkov Law Offices

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 70 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.